Is your hot water heater not working properly? Does it seem like your water takes forever to heat up? Or does your hot water suddenly go cold without warning? One of the worst things to experience is a lack of hot water on a cold winter day. Nobody likes to shower with lukewarm or even cold water in the middle of winter, so it’s best to keep an eye out for signs that mean your water heater is not working as it should.
Knowing the telltale signs of a failing water heater means you can get a quick repair and restore hot water to your household. Here at Show Plumbing, we are here to help!
Warning Signs of A Failing Water Heater
There are several signs you should look out for that mean your hot water heater is not working as it should:
- Lukewarm or cold water. A potential sign that your water heater is failing is the lack of hot water. If you notice that the water temperature throughout the home does not exceed a certain temperature and produces semi-warm/lukewarm water then it might be time to have it inspected.
- Hot water not last as long. Have you ever been in the middle of a hot shower and suddenly, the water turns cold? Running out of hot water, especially on a cold winter day is not something most of us homeowners want to endure. Depending on the age and condition of the water heater, the unit could only need a repair to one of the heating elements or it might be a warning sign that your water heater is beginning to fail. If your water heater is no longer producing hot water or if you are running out of hot water quicker than usual, it is probably a good idea to have the unit further inspected by a licensed plumber.
- No hot water. When there is no hot water throughout the entire home, this could be a sign that your water heater is failing or it could be something minor, like reigniting the pilot light. Start by inspecting the unit. If the pilot light is not “on”/lit then that could be where the problem lies. However, if the pilot light is lit and you are still not getting hot water, further diagnosis may be needed. Properly diagnosing the issue is half of the hurtle! That is why it is always recommended to have a licensed plumber assess your water heater when any issues arise.
- Noise. Your water heater should make very little to no noise. However, if you hear noises coming from your water heater, it could mean a few different things, the most common being scale buildup.
- Scale Buildup. Water heaters can accumulate scale or sediment buildup over the years which can interfere with the efficiency of the heating process. If not flushed out and cleaned, this sediment can shorten the life of your heater. That is why it is recommended by most water heater manufacturing companies to have the water heater flushed and maintained annually. This does not automatically mean that unit is failing, that is why it is recommended for a technician to evaluate the condition of the unit.
Maintaining your water heater properly is an easy task that should keep it serving you well for years to come. But if you suddenly find yourself without hot water, call us here at Show Plumbing to help locate the problem.
If your water heater isn’t working properly, we are here for you! Give Show Plumbing a call at (281) 860-2000, and our friendly professionals will be happy to restore hot water to your home. We also offer 24/7 emergency services for your convenience and offer the best plumbing service in Cypress.